[Sca-cooks] Mongolian - Middle Eastern baking

Simon Hondy scholari at verizon.net
Wed Nov 10 04:22:54 PST 2004

I have a recipe that I got from "A Soup for the Qan".

     [91.][49B] Poppy Seed Buns (108)
       White flour (five chin)
       cow's milk (two sheng)
       liquid butter (one chin)
       poppy seeds (one liang. Slightly roasted)
    [For] ingredients use salt and a little soda and combine with the flour.
    Make the buns.

In note 108 it states:
 "Needless to say, pastries of this sort are staples of Middle Eastern
cooks even today.
  The use of cows milk in the buns is clear indication that
'little blackseeds' are poppy seeds, and not black cumin.  Black Cumin is
used on breads, not in them.  These buns are indistinguishable from ordinary
poppy seed bun of today."

My question is, any one have familiarity with something like this from
Middle Eastern cooking?  I have tried a couple other redactions, and my own,
I am now looking to see if any one has seen similar recipes and their
thoughts on this matter.  I have made some tasty buns from this recipe
already,  I am looking to see the middle eastern style of them.  Or a place
to look and research more.

Simon Hondy