[Sca-cooks] Beverages

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 10 20:39:13 PST 2004

> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:11:16 -0800 (PST), Chris Stanifer
> <jugglethis at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone have a reference for the use of Malt Syrup as a beverage???
It seems to me that it may have occured to someone, somewhere along the way,
to water down malt syrup to use as a sweet beverage, which, having made it
myself from time to time, is very tasty.

> > Perhaps medieval brewers didn't reduce their malt to syrup?  Perhaps
they didn't make their malt syrup seperate from the brewing process??  Not
sure.... anyone?
> > William de Grandfort

Historical references suggest that malt syrup was not in use until the late
1700's by the British Royal Navy to brew beer on voyages . . . extending the
life of their alcohol.  No pasteurization yet, so you got malt vinegar from
beer/ale way too quickly.  I can get the book title having the reference, if
someone needs it.  Something like "History of Brewing in England from 600 to
1800" . . . . with three paragraphs or so (hyperbole) on pre-1700 items.

pacem et bonum,
maestro niccolo difrancesco