[Sca-cooks] what's wierd-ish, what isn't

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 11 16:36:51 PST 2004

--- "Martin G. Diehl" <mdiehl at nac.net> wrote:

> are also available
> section under
>
> Not sure that is right.

It is and it isn't.  I looked up "florentine"
in the Oxford Companion to Food and discovered
that "florentine" can mean a cookie or biscuit.
Specifically, Pepperidge Farms. Also in Britain,
it can mean a fruit or meat pie.  But it is from
the French where the phrase "a la Florentine"
means anything with spinach.  According to the
OCF, it is believed that the Italians, or
probably more correctly the Medici's, introduced
spinach to France.  In the supermarkets I use and
in a lot of restaurants here in Los Angeles, it
is most common to see the term "florentine" to
mean something with spinach in it.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.