[Sca-cooks] Gunthar Updates

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Nov 15 10:59:10 PST 2004

> > Using that as a baseline, and making it for 300 people, I think this feast
> > may work.
>
> You're going to be able to provide all of that food for $7 a head????  Holy Crap!  I need to shop
> where you shop!  I couldn't get HALF that much food (chicken, beef, pork, eggs,, butter, cheese,
> ASPARAGUS etc) here in So-Cal for TWICE that price!  Is that just the budget YOU are given for
> food, or is that the ticket price???

I think it depends on how much of each you serve. The feast Gunther is
doing is relatively uncomplicated, and we could do it in PA for about
that price quite comfortably.  For instance, the feast I did for the
Convivencia event came in UNDER $7 a head once we upped the number of
attendees to 80. The menu for that feast:

Starters:

    * Olives (storebought)
    * Figs in the French style (de Nola)

Condiments

    * Another Very Good French Mustard from De Nola
    * Oil and Vinegar
    * Alouette Garlic & Herb Cheese (commercial, but hey, it was on
sale)

First course: Moorish

    * Pitas
    * Mukhallal ('Wedding dish' of beef) (Al-Andalus)
    * Plain rice
    * Thûmiyya, Garlicky dish of chicken (Al-Andalus)
    * Lentil dish [vegetarian] from Al-Andalus
    * Stuffed eggs (al-Andalus)
    * Sekanjabin or Lemon Syrup Drink

Second Course: Christian

    * White Manchet Rolls
    * Pork/Cheese Sausages (Granado)
    * Salmon in Casserole (De Nola)
    * Barley grits in chicken broth (de Nola) [vegetarian version
available on prior request]
    * Chopped Spinach (with Bacon, almond milk, raisins, cheese) from De
Nola [vegetarian version available on prior request]
    * Clarea de Agua

Third Course: Jewish

    * Challah (A note on the bread)
    * Schmaltz (rendered chicken fat) to put on the bread (did not
appear)
    * Greens with Vinegar (and Oil)
    * A Jewish Dish of Chicken (with stuffing) from Al-Andalus
    * Eggplant stuffed with Lamb from Al-Andalus [plain eggplant
available on prior request]
    * Chard fried with onions and breadcrumbs [vegetarian] - from an
Inquisition account
    * Chickpeas, onions, spices and honey [vegetarian] - from an
Inquisition account
    * Pomegranate drink

Dessert:

    * Marzipan [vegetarian]-- courtesy of Olwen the Odd, Atlantia
    * Hais [vegetarian] from al-Baghdadi
    * Candied Coriander [vegetarian]
    * Quince paste [vegetarian], as referenced in de Nola (storebought)

http://www.gallowglass.org/jadwiga/SCA/cooking/conviviencia/menu.html

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"The toad beneath the harrow knows/exactly where each tooth-point goes,
The butterfly upon the road/Preaches contentment to that toad."
			- Rudyard Kipling