[Sca-cooks] Gunthar Updates

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 15 11:36:04 PST 2004

--- Susan Fox-Davis <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:

> >--- Huette von Ahrens <ahrenshav at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >>Really?  I live just outside LA and my last
> >>banquet had several more dishes than Gunthar
> >>and I brought it in at about $8.00 per head
> for
> >>about 350 people.  And I had salmon and duck
> >>on the menu.
> >>

> >Still not sure if that was HIS budget, or the
> total ticket price.  If it was what he was
> given for
> >the food, then it's possible, sure....but if
> he had to squeek a profit out of that, then it
> would
> >be very, very tight.
> >
> >I'm assuming your $8 per cover was just for
> the food, right?
> >
> >William de Grandfort
> >

> I was there and can answer, Yes... but Huette
> is one of canniest Smart
> Shoppers I know.  She is also willing to put in
> the extra effort to do
> things from scratch even when prepared things
> are easily available but
> cost a few pennies more like pie shells.  Once
> you get over 50 diners,
> that begins to add up.
>
> Selene

Thank you Selene!  You have made my day!

The salmon I budgeted for $3 per pound, but found
it at Vons for $1 per pound.  Of course, the
salmon had only been beheaded and gutted.
Etien and Baka spent most of the morning
cleaning, deboning and filleting 100 lbs of
salmon.  I am not sure they have ever forgiven
me for that.  They both keep telling me stories
of where they continued to find fish scales ...

But as for pie crusts, I will always use
from scratch pie crusts if someone else makes
them.  If I had to do them myself, I am not
sure that I wouldn't cheat and buy them premade.
But this is moot as I always have managed to
find a willing /s/u/c/k/e/r/ er ... volunteer!
Give me the most difficult, intricate task to
do and I will do it happily.  But please don't
ask me to make pie crust.  This is my Achilles
heel.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.