New World Foods- was Re: [Sca-cooks] Earthapples eyc

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Tue Nov 16 17:39:29 PST 2004

Bill Fisher wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 07:41:11 -0800 (PST), Chris Stanifer
> <jugglethis at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I agree with this, to a point.  However, if the new variant
> > can be produced using those 'proper' techniques and ways of
> > thinking, then will it be safe to call it 'period' food?
> > Where is the line drawn?  'Undocumentable', to be
> > sure....the dish never appeared anywhere in period as far
> > as we can tell.... but I think certain assumptions can be
> > made, assuming studious dedication and preservation of the
> > main, to produce a new dish which could be labeled 'period'
> > food.
> >
> > WdG
>
> I would not call it period food.  Period food is food we
> have definite documentation for that we know they made.
> This would be "food fashioned in a period style."
>
> The line is small, but the difference is not.

French cuisene v. nouvelle cuisine?

>From m-w online ...

	Main Entry: nouvelle cuisine
	Function: noun
	Etymology: French, literally, new cuisine
	: a form of French cuisine that uses little
	flour or fat and stresses light sauces and
	the use of fresh seasonal produce; also :
	any national cuisine that stresses lightness
	and freshness in preparation <American
	nouvelle cuisine>

OTOH, IME around here, it seems to mean ...

	"As long as I julienne everything, I can use any
	weird combination of tastes and get away with it."

> Cadoc
> --

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick