[Sca-cooks] Rue Substitute?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Nov 17 15:55:26 PST 2004

Anahita asked:
> A friend is making an Apician recipe, Aliter Dulcis (Book 7, Section
> 13, Recipe 5), which uses pine nuts, honey, rue, milk, passum, and
> eggs.
I thought this might be the pine nut candy, which comes out somewhat
like modern peanut brittle, but milk? and what is "passum"? Can someone
post the recipe?
> Does anyone have a suggestion for a substitute for rue?
Any commentary I've seen on substitutes for rue is likely to have been
placed in this Florilegium file, so you might check here:
rue-msg           (26K)  9/18/04    Medieval uses of the herb "rue".
Cautions.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/rue-msg.html

Stefan
--------