[Sca-cooks] Overdocumentation

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sat Nov 20 05:45:49 PST 2004

In a message dated 11/19/2004 1:49:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
auntie_samrah at yahoo.com writes:

<<It sounds like you have come across some less than nice people in persona
which makes 'em just another form of period nazis...>>

A request I've been making on many lists:
Please don't refer to people who like to do things authentically (or at least
more authenticially than you), even if they are mean about it and make you
feel like an idiot because you don't do it their way, as nazis.
I think it is an insult to those who were imprisoned, tortured, and killed by
the real Nazis to use the name of their tormentors for someone who gets upset
about how you do a hobby.  I also think that it helps to create the
unsupportive and sometimes downright unfriendly attitude those of us who like to be
more authentic often encounter in the SCA.  After all, the newest newbie has
usually been warned about "period nazis" long before they've ever met anyone who
tries to do things really authentically, and then expect anyone who tries to be
authentic to fit the stereotype they've been taught.

Brangwayna