[Sca-cooks] Overdocumentation

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Sat Nov 20 13:58:40 PST 2004

Bronwynmgn at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/18/2004 9:16:04 PM EST,
> t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net writes:
>
> <<I competed for a few years and got bored with winning
> and losing based on how people liked my work rather than
> on its accuracy or quality.  I went to researching and
> teaching, which to me, is more fun. >>

[snip]

> Somebody asked me to judge a competition with everything
> in it from embroidery to armor and I realized that there
> was no way such a thing could be fairly judged by anyone,

That is equivalent to a Brewer's competition that offers a
single prize to the best entry ... and that entry can be
mead, wine, beer, ale, or a cordial.

Very, very difficult to judge.  Usually the cordial wins.
I don't like entering a cordial under those circumstances.

BTW in such a competition, the bottle shouldn't be
considered ... unless it was a Coke or Pepsi container
in a former life.  <g>

> so I refused to judge any more, or enter any more
> competitions.

That is a good point.

[snip]

> Another reason I stopped doing them is because the only
> feedback I ever got was either something generic like
> "Great job!"

In a brewing competition or exhibit, hearing, "Great
bottle" is just about the kiss of death.  <g>

Generic feedback is not limited to the SCA.  I see many of
those 'generic responses' in settings for Photography (and
other art) as well as writing.  Worse than platitudes, is
seeing how authentic constructive criticism is rejected or
sometimes even regarded as an attack.

[snip]

> Brangwayna

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick