[Sca-cooks] "A fry of whatever meat you like"

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Sat Nov 20 14:23:17 PST 2004

Bill Fisher wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:07:09 -0600, Terry Decker
> <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> > Devra did have Milham's translation.  If you decide to
> > get a copy, be aware there are two inprint editions.
> > The hardbound has the original text fronting the
> > translation.  The paperback is just the translation.
> > I prefer the translation with original text because it
> > lets me consider the original language when confronted
> > with a question about the translation.
> >
> > Bear
>
> Yeah, the Milham original text + translation is the one
> I had that I can't find.

Looking at amazon.com ...

"Platina: On Right Pleasure and Good Health (Medieval &
Renaissance Texts & Studies, V. 168)" Hardcover
by Platina, Mary Ella Milham ... available, $35 and up.

"Platina's on Right Pleasure and Good Health: A Critical
Abridgement and Translation of De Honesta Voluptate Et Valetudine"
Paperback
by Platina, Mary Ella Milham ... available, $6 and up.

Looking at alibris.com ...

Platina "De honesta voluptate; the first dated cookery
book": Venice, L. de Aguila [i.e. Aquila] 1475
(1 available copy) $58.80

"Cookery and Dining in Imperial Rome" by Apicius,
Vehling, and Joseph D. (Editor) trade paperback $7

> I did my redactions for my first feast from that one.
>
> I'm just curious to get both, Milham averaged her
> edition from several manuscripts, but has a good
> reference system.
>
> Does the other edition have the latin included as well?

As I understand it, the paperback edition does not.

> Cadoc

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick