[Sca-cooks] Favorite lamb stew recipes for a crockpot?

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 22 10:08:58 PST 2004

--- Christiane <christianetrue at earthlink.net>
wrote:

> I'm looking for nonperiod or period, Western or
> Middle Eastern, it doesn't matter. The only
> requirement is that they have to be crockpot
> adaptible. I'm in one of my lamb-craving moods
> again and the butcher there, tempting me <g>.
>
> Gianotta

Lamb and Apricot Tagine  (makes 4-6 servings)

2 tbsp olive oil (to coat crock)
1.5 lbs lean boneless leg or shoulder of lamb
  cut into small cubes
1 large onion thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
4 carrots, thinly sliced
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
2 cups lamb or vegetable stock
8 oz. button mushrooms
Grated zest of one lemon
1 cup ready-to-eat dried apricots, chopped
2 tbsp honey
Chopped fresh cilantro, to serve (optional)

Coat crock with olive oil.  Place on bottom of
crock onion, garlic and carrots.  Mix flour
with spice in a bowl.  Add lamb cubes and mix
to cover lamb completely. [This adds the spice
flavors to the meat more strongly and directly.]
Add meat to crock.  Then add mushrooms, zest
and cover with stock.  Cover and cook on low
for 6 to 8 hours.  Stir in apricots and honey,
cover and cook on low an additional 1 to 2
hours, or until lamb is cooked and tender.
Sprinkle with chopped fresh cilantro and serve
with couscous, if desired.

=====
shall never cease to be amused.