[Sca-cooks] Favorite lamb stew recipes for a crockpot?

Lord Boroghul Khara boroghul at narn.pecan-tree.com
Mon Nov 22 14:48:13 PST 2004

Khorkhog, A Mongolian Festival Dish

Non-Crockpot version:

Ingredients:
Meat of one sheep, left on the bone and cut into small pieces.
One large basket of onions, peeled and chopped coarsley
Salt
Red pepper pods
Other herbs and spices to taste

Method:
Mix all ingredients. Line the bottom of a large pottery urn with stones
heated red-hot in the coals of a fire. Add a 2-inch layer of the meat
mixture. Add another layer of hot stones. Continue alternating layers of
meat mixture and hot stones until the urn is filled.  Seal urn and leave
undisturbed for several hours.  Scooping around stones, serve meat and
onions over rice; serve cooking broth in bowls at end of meal.

Crockpot version:

Ingredients:
Boneless leg of lamb cut into 1/2 inch to 1 inch pieces.
1 vidalia onion chopped coarsley
1 bunch spring onions chopped coarsley
Salt
Black pepper, coarse ground
Red pepper, crushed
At least 2 cloves garlic minced
Fresh rosemary ( I usually cut about 3 inches off of my plant )

Method:
Mix all ingredients, (spices to taste)
Set in lidded crock pot on low.

Sorry, I don't have times for it... U usually leave the kitchen, sit down
with a novel and get up and turn the crock pot off when I start drooling on
the pages. (Usually a couple of hours pass.   For what it's worth, I've
started things at 7 in the morning and served dinner at 5 when I got home
from work.  Every once in a while I had to add a cup of water when the
tompost layer starts to look dry.

I usually serve over sticky or basmati rice.