[Sca-cooks] edible gold leaf almonds ( was naming things on menus)

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Mon Nov 22 12:49:03 PST 2004

> Micaylah <dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca> wrote:
> >This is what the menu looked like: "snipped"
>
> >Saffron Rice with Gilded Almonds
> >Basmati Rice garnished with edible gold leafed almonds & Saffron
>
> I've never worked with edible gold leaf so I'm fascinated.  Can
> you tell us what the process is like and where you got the gold?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Samrah, the curious

Samrah, they were to be commercial. I remember now that that part didn't
happen as the Italian bakery (that also catered weddings) was out at the
time. I will remember these folks for the future though. I'll just remember
not to try to buy a mess of these in the middle of wedding season. <grin>

Although I have never gold-leafed anything before I would imagine it is
just a process of buying the sheets of gold, a soft brush and a bunch of
almonds. As to whether one would buy blanched, skinned, unskinned, roasted,
etc, I dunno. I do know there are folks on this List that just rock with
gold-leaf so....Anyone?

Micaylah
safely in an attractive and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand - strawberries in the
other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO -
what a ride!"
Anon