[Sca-cooks] rice porridge/rice pudding

Daniel Myers edouard at medievalcookery.com
Mon Nov 22 14:29:06 PST 2004

On Nov 22, 2004, at 4:29 PM, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:

>> Most of the period recipes for "rice pudding" I've seen seem to be
>> thinner than a modern pudding or porridge.  My version of "pottage of
>> rice" is at the following site:
>
> Ok, that's wierd. The period and modern rice puddings I've had were
> about the same consistency, about the thickness of tapioca pudding or
> similar thick 'pudding' in the American sense... but modern porridge is
> generally less thick than that.

Hmm... Perhaps this is due to my own interpretation of the period
recipes.  Alternately the interpretations of period rice puddings
you've had may have been influenced by modern rice pudding.

A quick overview of "rice pudding" recipes:

Forme of Cury / Ryse Of Flesh  -  rice cooked in broth, add almond milk
and saffron
http://www.medievalcookery.com/cgi-bin/display.pl?foc:9

Forme of Cury / RYS MOYLE - ground rice and almond milk, add sugar and
boil.
http://www.medievalcookery.com/cgi-bin/display.pl?foc:258

Forme of Cury / POTAGE OF RYS - cooked rice, add almond milk and
saffron.
http://www.medievalcookery.com/cgi-bin/display.pl?foc:261

Das Kuchbuch der Sabina Welserin / Take a quarter pound of rice  -
rice cooked in cream, add almonds and sugar and bake
http://www.medievalcookery.com/cgi-bin/display.pl?wes:105

Liber cure cocorum /  Ryse  -  ground rice and almond milk, strained,
add sugar and boil
http://www.medievalcookery.com/cgi-bin/display.pl?lcc:29

Libro di cucina/ Libro per cuoco / Rice in a good manner  -  rice
cooked in water, add almond milk and simmer, add sugar  "This dish
should be white and very sparing and when it is cooked powder in the
serving the sugar over."  [not sure what they mean by "very sparing"]
http://www.medievalcookery.com/cgi-bin/display.pl?lib:61

A new booke of Cookerie (1615) / A Ryce Pudding  -  rice boiled in milk
and drained, add suet, currants, eggs, and spices, stuff into "guts"
and boil.  [just out of period, this sounds more like a modern English
pudding]
http://www.medievalcookery.com/cgi-bin/display.pl?nboc:71

Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books / Rys  -  boiled rice, add almond
milk, sugar, and honey.
http://www.medievalcookery.com/cgi-bin/display.pl?tfccb:86

Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books / Rys moilles  -  ground rice and
almond milk, boil and add sugar.
http://www.medievalcookery.com/cgi-bin/display.pl?tfccb:474

Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books / Potage of ris  -  boiled rice and
almond milk, boil and add saffron.
http://www.medievalcookery.com/cgi-bin/display.pl?tfccb:483

Le Viandier de Taillevent / Decorated rice  -  rice boiled in milk, add
saffron and stock.
http://www.medievalcookery.com/cgi-bin/display.pl?via:66

Curye on Inglish [Constance B. Hieatt & Sharon Butler (eds.)] / Ryse of
fische daye  -  rice in almond milk, add sugar.  "let hyt be stondyng"
[Obviously this one's supposed to be thick].

The Neapolitan Recipe Collection [Terence Scully (trans.)]  /  Rice in
Almond Milk  -  cooked rice, add almond milk and sugar.

So that's one source that specifies the final product to be thick.
Anyone have any others?

- Doc