[Sca-cooks] Pirozhki`s (was Maybe It Is Rocket Science: Bread)

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 23 12:28:05 PST 2004

--- Samrah <auntie_samrah at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately my best girlfriend (at the time, nope she wasn't Russian) taught me the recipe 23
> years ago:  yeast bread dough filled with browned hamburger, hardboiled eggs, salt & pepper,
> dill, deep fried.  Started in the SCA 19 years ago so no docs.  Looks to have period ingredients
> ;o(
>
> Samrah

You know what... I actually use a 'Raised Doughnut' dough for my Piroshki, but reduce the sugar by
half.  It works out great, but I doubt if it is period, and probably not at all authentic.  The
downside to using the doughnut dough is that I have a tendency to fry up little balls of it while
I am cooking the Piroshki...and by the time the Piroshki are ready, I'm not hungry anymore.

I also throw cabbage in them from time to time, but I couldn't tell you if that is authentic,
either.

Now that I think of it, I may be making Pirog, and not Piroshki... one of them is boiled, and the
other fried.  Or, one is large, and the other small.  Or I'm thinking of two seperate dishes.

Where IS that recipe ???

William de Grandfort

=====
Every heart to love will come... but like a refugee.