[Sca-cooks] Pirozhki`s (was Maybe It Is Rocket Science: Bread)w

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Nov 24 08:14:57 PST 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> This story isn't about revenge, but rather simply amusing...or maybe you
> had to be there...
>
> Several years ago, we went into a Thai restaurant in Richmond, VA.  My
> husband ordered the Green Curry, which he loves.  The waiter asked if he
> wanted American hot or Tha hot.  When Jim responded that he wanted Thai
> hot, the waiter became quite concerned and asked him if he was sure.
> Jim said that he really did, at which point the waiter went away shaking
> his head.  When he brought out our food, he sat there and watched Jim
> eat, totally amazed that Jim was thoroughly enjoying it!
>
> Kiri

Yeah, I had a similar experience in Dayton, at a Thai restaurant there. It
wasn't usually crowded when we went, I think because we tended to eat at odd
hours, so we got a chance to talk to the staff. I told them that I wanted to
know, in unfamiliar dishes, if there were any bell peppers, because I
disliked them extremely, and I asked that in any spicy dish, they'd make it
for me the way they'd make it at home. They wanted to know if that meant I
wanted it super hot, and I explained that I wanted it super hot only if that
was the way _they_ normally wanted it- what I didn't want was it toned down
for American tastes- I was interested in Thai food, not the American version
of it.

Took a little doing, because their English was restaurant English, but once
they understood, they were very pleased, but were peeping at me out of the
kitchen to see how I reacted. Given a stage, I figured I had to respond, so
when I tried my first bite, I reacted, saying loudly, "Wow, that's GOOD!!!"
and proceeded to make a very cheerful pig of myself ;-)

Ever after that, every time we went, they'ds always have a little something
extra on my plate to try- they were really pleased that, while I was
admittedly new to it, I really liked REAL Thai food ;-)

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.