[Sca-cooks] Question

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Wed Nov 24 10:05:36 PST 2004

Bear scripsit:
> I was considering Danish recipes in Danish.  In the case of the Libellus
de
> arte coquinaria, the recipes are in Latin (IIRC) and are not particularly
> Danish in origin.

The recipes in Codices K and Q in Libellus are actually in Danish (the other
two manuscripts in this book are in Icelandic and Low German) but no, they
are not particularly Danish in origin. Skimming the introductory material,
though, it seems that they may at least be from northern Europe -- the
authors' speculation is that the Urtext is Low German, possibly mid-13th
century.

On the other hand, if we know that someone went to the trouble of
translating the original into Danish, we might assume that someone who spoke
Danish actually prepared the recipes.

Cynara