[Sca-cooks] Period Gifts in Jars

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 24 10:41:27 PST 2004

--- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:

> > Almond Milk (the busy medieval cook will appreciate having a pre-made supply on hand the next
> time
> > a recipe calls for it)
>
> I don't think you can can this, it will go bad. But you can give ground
> almonds instead.

Hmmnn...  I can't think of anything in a regular Almond Milk which would go off rather quickly, if
it is canned properly.  Perhaps the oils would go rancid after a while, but if kept in the
refrigerator, I don't see an obvious problem, except perhaps some settling.  Am I missing
something?

By the way... I just got the opportunity to taste the fruit of the Coacoa tree this morning.  If
you have never had it (as I hadn't), it tastes very much like a soft, pulpy coconut with a hint of
chocolate flavor.  More like an aftertaste, actually.  Interesting.

WdG

=====
Every heart to love will come... but like a refugee.