[Sca-cooks] test

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Wed Nov 24 11:12:58 PST 2004

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:

> > testing to see if non-threaded e-mail is showing up
> > for me
>
> Yes, it does show up. But people appear to be reading and
> addressing their email in threaded order. :) (I've seen
> my own postings show up but if they aren't tagged onto an
> existing very active thread, I don't start to see
>
> -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa,
> -- Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net

A 'late' reply could be caused by nothing more sinister
than backlog, away, or internet lag.

I'm not sure that everyone arranges their INBOX as
'threaded' ... consider the number of times that a new
subject gets hidden within another thread.  Some people
click 'reply to' instead of 'compose' and since they
don't 'thread' their incoming messages, they can't
predict what will happen to someone else who does.

In addition, consider that sometimes a new (not a reply)
message has a subject that matches an older one that is
still in the message folder.  When I use threading, the
new message may appear (hide) with a 2 year old message.

e.g. in my SCA-Cooks folder, the current 'Cookie Exchange'
messages are threading with older messages from 11/27/2002.

Also messages with subject 'test' may thread with older
messages dating back to 10/20/2002.

Whenever I realize that I am not seeing all of the new
messages that downloaded, I sort by 'order received'.

Once the message(s) are bearing the eMail header tag
'References' they thread with a specific message which
has the corresponding 'Message-ID' value.  This happens
even if the subject changes.

Replies from people with the 'Digest' option on also do
not thread -- they don't have the cross reference to the
earlier message ... while a 'reply to' one of those Digest
messages will thread with the first in that bunch.

Here is a specific (boring, but may be helpful)
2 message threading example ...

Cadoc's message which threads with a 2 year old Test message: