[Sca-cooks] Cacao fruit -- was, Period Gifts in Jars

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Nov 24 11:59:44 PST 2004

Also sprach Chris Stanifer:
>By the way... I just got the opportunity to taste the fruit of the
>Coacoa tree this morning.  If
>you have never had it (as I hadn't), it tastes very much like a
>soft, pulpy coconut with a hint of
>chocolate flavor.  More like an aftertaste, actually.  Interesting.

That evil baking and confectionery supply store that I occasionally
buy stuff from had Cocoa Nibs (essentially chopped, roasted cocoa
beans) the last time I was there. I still have some in the freezer.
They're kind of like chopped, toasted Brazil or Macadamia nuts, with
an intensely rich, fatty, bitter chocolate aroma and flavor. I could
see them topping ice cream or baked in cookies... I used them on top
of a chocolate mousse, and I bet sticking a few grains into the
center of each chocolate truffle would be good. I also once threw a
teaspoon of them into the filter when making coffee, and that was
good, but may have been a waste in the long run.

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, eat brioche."
Rousseau, "Confessions", pub 1782

Holt, 07/29/04