[Sca-cooks] Period gifts in jars

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Nov 24 21:41:33 PST 2004

Huette commented:
> > --- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
> > gift in a jar is going to be a beer.... :)
> >>
> >> Only if you a) like beer and b) it isn't
> > counterindicated for you.
> >
> > Who doesn't like beer?????
> > WdG
>
> Me.  Although it does taste good when used to
> cook salmon or in a stew.
Yep, I have to join the others here and say I'm not fond of most beers.
Too much malt or too bitter or whatever. I prefer sweeter brews like
meads, ciders, wines and cordials.  I also find most whiskeys and
Scotches and such too strong tasting as well.

However, I do like beer in many food items. Even as a marinade or part
of a basting sauce. For some period recipes for foods using beers and
ales, see this Florilegium file:
beer-in-food-msg  (24K)  9/ 7/04    Period recipes with beer or ale in
them.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/beer-in-food-msg.html

Of course I'd love to have any additional ones if folks see that their
favorite period one is not listed in there.
> I would prefer wine or cordials or some other
> liquor.
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas