[Sca-cooks] Vegetable cake: (was Fruitcake)

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sat Nov 27 12:05:40 PST 2004

At 11:31 PM 11/26/2004, you wrote:
>****
><snip>
>Hmmm... perhaps for some people the adversion is too great.  For me it is
>asparagus, cauliflower, brussel sprouts and broccoli.
>Daniel
>****
>I've never heard of a fruitcake recipe that called for asparagus,
>cauliflower, brussel sprouts and broccolli...That would be more of a
>"vegetable cake"...again, something I've never heard of.
>
>I have made a "salad cake" before.  However, that's a story in and of
>itself.  I really enjoy baking desserts and stuff like that.  A friend of
>mine had the "gall" to ask me to bring a salad to a pot-luck.  Well, I
>made a regular salad, but then I HAD to make a cake and somehow persuade
>everybody that it was really a salad.  So....
>
>Flour comes from wheat which is a grass - grass is a plant - plants =
>vegetable.
>Chocolate comes from a bean - beans = vegetable
>Vegetable oil - c'mon, it's in the name... VEGETABLE oil
>Eggs - I don't know about you, but I've had plenty of salads that have
>eggs in them.
>Sugar - comes from sugar cane or sugar beets - beets = vegetable
>milk - Milk is extract of grass as processed through a cow, so milk= vegetable
>
>Hence, cake = salad

:-) The creativity of a cook knows no bounds, yes?

Last February, for Regina's birthday, we had a little party. She's on
Atkins, so instead of a regular birthday cake, our friend Morwyn made a
birthday cake in meatloaf! finely ground meatloaf, with minced olives in
it, 'frosted' with garlic cream cheese! It looked like a carrot or spice
cake, and was very funny- especially when she took some of it to work with
her- when someone is expecting carrot cake, the faces they make when they
get a mouthful of meatloaf  are pretty funny!

'Lainie