[Sca-cooks] Starter went 'Pffft'

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 30 18:06:01 PST 2004

--- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:

> However, you continue to argue that sourdough bread does not require
> wild yeast, only a yeast and a lactobacilli of the sourness you require.

That's exactly what I'm saying.  Spontaneous fermentation requires wild yeast...sourdough does
not. Sourdough requires lactobacillii,  The yeast is unimportant.

> Again, if you were to say that _for you_ that definition holds true,
> nobody would bother you. That you continue to insist that those who are
> interested in the wild yeasts and consider the lactobacilli a side
> product are misusing the language and spreading misinformation is what
> gets people's blood boiling.

Let it boil.  It's a fact which is beyond contradiction.  It's a matter of terminology, and you
are using the wrong terminology.  Plain and simple.

It isn't just Adamantius and Bear you are
> arguing with, you see... it's American bread experts in general.

It's a few people 'who write about bread' in general.  Other 'experts' agree with me. And, quite
frankly, you ain't an expert.  Adamantius and I are in the process of finding some common ground
on the subject (I think), and if he chooses to continue the debate, then I will do so.  But with
him..not you.  You have resorted to personal attacks on me and my professional experience, both of
which you know absolutely NOTHING about.  When you can make a simple Bechamel sauce, then you can
speak to me about cooking.  Until then, I am through with you on this subject.

Now, THAT was grandstanding.

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.