[Sca-cooks] Starter went 'Pffft'

Simon Hondy scholari at verizon.net
Tue Nov 30 18:40:15 PST 2004

Some nice sourdough definitions:
http://www.angelfire.com/ab/bethsbread/sdDefinitions.html

very nice info on sourdough:
http://www.angelfire.com/ab/bethsbread/sdMenu.html

FAQs from rec.food.sourdough
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/food/sourdough/faq/preamble.html

The original Issue of the starter dieing could be over worked, or using
chlorinated water, which can kill off the lactobacilli.

I have a lethal barm in my fridge, that I made following a recipe from
Elizabeth David's English Bread and Yeast Cookery.  I say lethal as I am
still looking for one of the corks it blew off.  I am now afraid to take it
out of the door...   Also drying a smear of sourdough starter once you get a
good one going is great to assist in restarting a new batch if one neglects
their "pet".  Make sure the new starter vessel is sterile when starting
anew, and if you have old starter to mix into it, put a lid on it (allowing
for gasses to escape, but not get in)  You want the original culture to
start, not let in evil or other wild beasties.  If you keep the starter near
the stove in some frightening looking container, use it pretty much each
day,  if in the fridge, maintain it once a week.  let it warm to room temp,
then divide and feed,  whip it good  let it froth and put it away again.
And for the brave and desperate, for alcohol, be like the 49ers of old and
drink the hooch off the top mmmmm makes one yearn for Kumiss.

Simon Hondy
beginner