[Sca-cooks] Re: Pie toppings (getting OOP)

Ruth Frey ruthf at uidaho.edu
Wed Oct 6 10:01:27 PDT 2004

> You mean, like a custard sauce? I don't think we do it that often
> with pies.
> If anything, I'd thing the US equivalent would be whipped cream,
> or
> <<shudder>> that fake, non-dairy frozen cr at p.

     And if you're talking hot apple pie, there's always the option of topping the thing with a slice of good, sharp cheddar cheese (let the pie melt the cheese and then enjoy).  That seems to be something of an American-ism; I know a Canadian friend of mine who heard about the practice was both shocked and appalled, and couldn't imagine whoever first thought of such a thing . . .

                -- Ruth