[Sca-cooks] all there is to know about food... in three minutes!

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Thu Oct 7 20:57:17 PDT 2004

Ok, this is a semi-serious, semi-silly question...

'Bout a month from now, I'm teaching a University of Ithra class,
specifically the 'Survery of the Middle Ages'. Here's the basic blurb:

"From the Fall of Rome to the Battle of Bosworth and the beginnings of the
Renaissance, we will look at an overview of the culture, law, and politics
of Western Europe, and the people that make them so interesting. The hows
and whys of major invasions and battles, Crusades and wars will be covered,
as well as the changes that resulted from them. We will discuss
governmental systems, the Church, education and trade, and the art and
literature that flourished under them. And much, much more! Class fee will
provide for handout with maps, bibliography and references, and suggestions
for further research. Students should arrive with note-taking materials,
questions, and an open mind. "

It's four hours, and I'll really have to plow through quickly to get
through that material!

So my question is this- if I can devote a minute or two of three, I'd like
to at least touch on medieval diet and meals. A little de-bunking might be
necessary. So if you had three minutes to say something about medieval
food, what would you say? If you were in the class, what would you ask?

I'll just sit back and take notes now. Please, talk amongst yourselves!

'Lainie