[Sca-cooks] Seville Oranges.....

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 13 05:03:24 PDT 2004

Hi Folks!
While shopping for the wedding that Dame Hauviette and I are catering
this weekend (yes, I know...I live in MD and she in MI...she's flying
into B'more this afternoon!), I found the most amazing thing at Shoppers
Food Warehouse, our local really cheap place for groceries.  I have been
looking for something other than regular oranges with an addition of
lemon/grapefruit juiced to make it sour to use in recipes that call for
Seville oranges.  To date, I hadn't been able to find anything.
However, at SFW, I found a Goya product called Bitter Orange Marinade
(/Naranja Agria/).  It has a bunch of ingredients, as these things do,
but it also contains essence of Seville orange.  I haven't tried it yet,
but thought I'd let the rest of you know that there is something out
there other than trying to find the oranges themselves...they only show
up rarely, when they are in season...and can only be found around here
at gourmet shops and are horrificially expensive.  This wasn't too bad,
and it came in two sizes...12 oz and a quart, I think.  I'll let  you
guys know how it works...I'm going to try it in the grilled tuna recipe
from de Nola, and will share my results and the redaction with you.

Kiri