[Sca-cooks] Re: [Sca-cooks) onion soup...

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Oct 1 19:44:13 PDT 2004

"Period would be nice but my priorities are presentation and something
people will really eat.  Us Ansteorrans are hungry people."

That is almost an insult, but if you are unsure of your ability to prepare a
feast for several hundred, skipping the period and producing a fine meal is
a reasonable option.  Given the number of bad non-period feasts, much less
bad period feasts, I've had over the years, I'm all in favor of a good meal
coming first.

Just to be clear, I am an Ansteorra (for around 27 years) and I prepare
period feasts at which Ansteorrans gorge themselves and leave groaning,
cursing the inability to finish the last course.  Contrary to the way your
statement comes across, the ability to prepare a proper period repast for a
large group is an adjunct to the ability to prepare a feast.  If you can
plan and prepare a satisfactory meal for several hundred people, then with
the proper research and mindset, you can prepare a satisfactory period meal
for several hundred.

My next feast will be 14th Century Italian at Namron Protectorate.  What
feast are you preparing?

Bear

BTW, I have a couple period Onion Soup recipes, but they will need to be
keyed in.

> I would like to use bread bowls for service. I was thinking of your
standard
> French onion but I am open for suggestions. Period would be nice but my
> priorities are presentation and something people will really eat. Us
Ansteorrians