[Sca-cooks] frozen dolmas

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Sun Oct 3 17:57:27 PDT 2004

I use the recipe from A Book of Middle Eastern Food by Claudia Roden
But I double the recipe for a 1 lb jar of leaves, I'd always have too
many leaves left over
Fresh young leaves.. picked in the spring are even better.

1 lb jar of grape leaves (50-60)
3/4 c rice
2-3 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 1/2 T parsley, finely chopped
2 1/2 T mint, finely chopped
1/4 tsp gnd cinnamon
1/4 tsp gnd allspice
pepper to taste
3-4 cloves garlic, sliced
1/2 c olive oil
1/2 c water
1/4 tsp saffron (optional)
1 tsp sugar
juice of a lemon, or more
Put the grape leaves in a bowl and pour boiling water over them, let
soak 20 min, drain.
Put the rice in a bowl, pour boiling water to more than cover, let
soak 20 min, drain
Mix rice with tomatoes, onion, parsley, mint and spices, adjust seasoning.
Line the bottom of the pan with a few torn or tough leaves.
Stuff the leaves and roll up, pack tightly in the pan.  Put the
garlic here and there.
Mix the oil, water and saffron, pour over the leaves.
Put a small plate on the top (I've never needed to do this).
Cover the pan and simmer gently for 2 hours, until thoroughly cooked.
Add water as needed, a cup at a time.  Cool in the pan before turning
out. Serve cold.