[Sca-cooks] Serving Soups

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Oct 4 06:29:23 PDT 2004

> Yes, it does. Thank you everyone who answered my questions. This does
> sound like a good way to serve soups and stews at SCA feasts, although
> the quantity needed is large. Which means a fair amount of storage
> space is needed to store them as well as a bit of money to buy them in
> the first place. I guess some of this could be helped by buying ones
> large enough to serve two tables instead of one, so long as they then
> aren't so heavy that two people can't carry one. The shape, handles and
> lid do seem to be optimum for this use over other pots.

It's really optimum to have one per table. For a feast for 200 in tables
of 8, that's 25 containers, but most feasts I've experienced are less
than 160 diners...

If one doesn't have tureens, ceramic, wood or other non-metal containers
are best. Not only will metal containers or pots burn the server's
fingers, they bleed heat continuously thus cooling the contents down
quickly.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"If past history was all there was to the game, the richest people would
be librarians." -- Warren Buffet, Washington Post, April 17, 1988