[Sca-cooks] Real bacon

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Oct 5 13:14:35 PDT 2004

Also sprach Jessica Tiffin:
>At 07:09 PM 10/5/04, Master Adamantius wrote:
>>I'd suspect that the
>>really industrial/commercial stuff has more sugar in the cure, which,
>>when combined with the added water, leads to a greater amount of
>>sticky, burny juices in the bottom of your pan, the kind of thing
>>that can make it tough to fry eggs in the same pan ;-).
>
>Well, I can throw into the mix the experience of a friend of mine
>(i.e. a fellow South African) who spent 6 months in the US and
>returned frothing in frustration because, according to her, all
>American bacon is _sweet_.  South African bacon, you may gather from
>this, is not sweet at all, but salty and tangy, often smoked.  I
>don't know where UK bacon fits into the whole thing, but I suspect
>we may follow that tradition rather than the US one.

I don't think it's a unilateral sweetness, but overall, there's
probably more sugar in cures. The same goes for the cures in hams,
fish, etc. Not without exception, but as an ongoing trend.

>(Oh, and she also wanted to know what's with the USA and the total
>lack of custard.  As in pre-made custard for having with apple pie.
>We can buy it by the carton here - sweet and slightly plastic and
>not a patch on the real thing, but with its own obnoxious charm.
>Did San Francisco simply have a dearth when she was living there, or
>are Americans simply not custard-conscious??)
>
>yrs in comparative culinary anthropology,
>JdH

I think we'd be inclined to use whipped cream or ice cream in place
of some of the custard use you speak of: where children in UK-based
cultures speak of cake and custard, we speak of ice cream and cake.
However, we do occasionally make real custard, from milk and/or cream
and eggs or yolks. I can actually buy Bird's Custard down the street
my my home, but never bothered. It seems to be largely like a thinner
version of My-T-Fine pudding, and might have enjoyed a greater vogue
in the US in the 50's and 60's, were it properly marketed.

Adamantius
--
"As long as but a hundred of us remain  alive, never will we on any
conditions be brought under English rule.  It is in truth not for

Holt, 07/29/04