[Sca-cooks] Pears in cream?

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Wed Oct 6 09:37:21 PDT 2004

It might be related to "Dyschefull of Snowe" -- cream whipped with egg
whites, sugar and rosewater, presented as "snow" on a bush made of rosemary
branches stuck into an apple -- except there the apple is clearly (to me, at
any rate) just part of the presentation. Lorna Sass, in To the Queen's
Taste, has a version where the whipped cream (sans egg white) is served as a
garnish on baked apples. Which is probably good, but it is certainly not the
original recipe.

I haven't got all that many late period sources, though, and other folk on
this list are far more familiar with late-period cookery than I am.

Cynara