[Sca-cooks] Pears in cream?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Oct 6 10:19:22 PDT 2004

Also sprach Terri Morgan:
>It's one of those "seems right" sort of things so I never
>questioned it. Pare and slice the pears, then whip the heavy cream slightly
>while adding a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg and a dash of sweeting (sugar or
>honey), then heat and add the pear - heat without boiling and then serve hot
>or cold. Easy, tasty, and until just a few hours ago, never questioned. I
>hate it when I do that (the never questioned part).
>
>    I figured middle-Europe due to the use of cream and pears together and
>later-period because of the addition of sugar or sweetening, but beyond
>that... I'm beginning to fear that I was misinformed.

I'd be inclined to agree. If I were to try to back-document it, I'd
say that the spicing and sweetening of wine to use as a cooking
liquid for pears is fairly similar to hippocras, and that there is at
least one late-period recipe for hippocras (I'm pretty sure) that
involves cream along with the wine, spices, and sugar. So, if one
assumes that some of the pears-in-red-wine-type dishes are actually
pears conserved in hippocras, one might extend that to include some
cream. It's not a lot to hang a set of documentation on, but it's
something.

Another possibility is that, I'm fairly sure I've seen applemoy
recipes that call for cream of almonds or of kine, the latter type
being the important thing here. But that'd be apples, not pears. It'd
still call for a certain amount of rationalization.

Flat-out? I've never heard of pears in cream. Thinking back, not even
rampaunt peorrey (which is kinda like pastry cream made with pear
puree instead of cream) makes the cut.

Adamantius

--
"As long as but a hundred of us remain  alive, never will we on any
conditions be brought under English rule.  It is in truth not for

Holt, 07/29/04