[Sca-cooks] Russian Sources

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Oct 6 15:13:44 PDT 2004

Ah, but it is listed as having a bibliography--- and the abstract looked
interesting--
Building on a wide range of approaches to the history, sociology and
anthropology of food,
 in this dissertation I examine the food practices of late-eighteenth-
and early-nineteenth-century Russia.
snipped The first section examines food production, considering both
traditional agricultural processes
and attempts to “modernize” them.
The second section examines practical aspects of consumption: food
acquisition and its
impact on human lives. The last section examines cultural aspects of
food consumption and
preparation, focusing on how food preferences were read as culturally
meaningful, either
showing class status, gendered ideals, or national identities.
In order to give some sense of geographic variation within the larger
Russian Empire,
much of the discussion is confined to the provinces of Kostroma and Kazan'.

Volume 2 includes "cabbage soup and porridge: peasant cooking cultures"
and the literature of cooking and culinary culture in pre-reform Russia.
Includes source collections, selected recipes and like I said a
bibliography.

Given that there isn't a lot out there--- it's a place to start,
especially given that's Russia..

Johnnae