[Sca-cooks] Honey Oatmeal Bread

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Oct 11 12:40:43 PDT 2004

>I would kill for a good honey oatmeal bread recipe. I have eaten it
>at many a feast and fell in love with it. Before you ask yes I have
>looked in the florgillium,.... welp... I found bread recipe's but
>none are honey oat..... (yes Stefan li Rous I know I must be
>screwing up the search) also am curious if it is a period recipe and
>where the source came from :) Please :)

My guess is that none of the oatmeal breads commonly made in the SCA
are period. My basis for that is:

1. Our oatmeal, rolled oats, is a 19th c. innovation.

2. Oatmeal bread seems to have been made mainly by people who
couldn't get or couldn't afford wheat. So an oatmeal flavored wheat
bread, which is what modern oatmeal breads are, doesn't seem terribly
likely. I think Ann Hagen suggests that oatmeal breads were unraised
breads, since it doesn't have sufficient gluten for a raised bread.

But I will be happy to be proved wrong. One place to look might be in
references to mixed grain breads (maislin).
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com