[Sca-cooks] Honey Oatmeal Bread

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Oct 11 14:58:46 PDT 2004

The quick way to do this is take a standard bread recipe to make 2 one pound
loaves, add 1/4 cup of honey and 1/2 cup rolled oats to the recipe.  You may
need to adjust the liquor and the flour to get the right consistency of
dough.  Oats other than rolled oats need to be softened before use and may
not give you the texture you are looking for.  I like using some large flat
oat flakes I sometimes find at the health food store in preference to the
more commercial rolled oats found at the grocery

There are about five bread recipes in the in period European corpus and none
of them are honey oatmeal bread.  Roller milled and steel cut oats are 19th
Century processes, so most of your common oatmeal sources are OOP.  As
period fare, oatmeal bread would probably have been small unleavened
pancakes of an oatmeal finer ground than rolled or stone cut oats mixed with
water, a little fat and some salt then cooked on a griddle or a hearth
stone.  Real peasant fare or as Gerard specifies in his Herball, "(about
Lancashire) it is their chiefest bread corn for Bannocks, Haver cakes,
Tharfic cakes, and those which are called generally oten cakes."

Elizabeth David in English Bread and Yeast Cookery covers a number of oat
cakes and breads, but they aren't the kind of thing served at feasts and
most of the recipes are well out of period.

Bear