[Sca-cooks] Honey Oatmeal Bread

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Oct 11 22:51:51 PDT 2004

  Chass of Rundel asked:
> I would kill for a good honey oatmeal bread recipe. I have eaten it at
> many
> a feast and fell in love with it. Before you ask yes I have looked in
> the
> florgillium,.... welp... I found bread recipe's but none are honey
> oat.....
> (yes Stefan li Rous I know I must be screwing up the search)
Not necessarily. I went ahead and did a search just to see what I could
find. My apologoies if I've ever given the impression that I think
folks are missing something in the Florilegium because they are
screwing up their searching with the search engine or by hand. *I*
often forget about a related file, and I ought to know better than most
where the various things are in the Florilegium. Often what the search
engine will evoke from me is "Oh, yeah I guess I must have put that in
that file" or  "oops. I guess I didn't remember to remove that and put
it in file x.".

I didn't find a lot. Most hits were in the breadmaking file or the
ethnic breads files. I've pasted a pair of messages with recipes, that
might be close to what you are looking for below. There are also a few
other breads using oats or oatmeal but they don't use honey.

> also am curious
> if it is a period recipe and where the source came from :) Please :)
There are only about a half-dozen to a dozen period bread recipes,
depending upon where you draw the line on what is "bread", known to
exist. About half a dozen of these are now in the Florilegium. It is
very likely that a period recipe for an oats based bread doesn't exist.
Oats were not what the upper-class medieval folks wanted in their
breads. Oats were for the lower classes, and they likely, did not have
access to an oven. So they had oatcakes, rather than oat breads, and
they would have been or couldn't write the recipe down. The Scots, for
instance.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com

> [...]
> and stir it in. [Crush the caraway seeds in a mortar, add the raisins,
> and
> grind the mixture to a paste. Stir in the remaining tablespoon of
> water.
> Add 2 teaspoons of this caraway flavouring to the -bouillie-.]
> Gradually add
> 1 1/2 cups flour, a handful at a time, while mixing with a plastic
> dough
> scraper. Mix in the yeast. Continue adding the rest of the flour by
> handfuls until it is all incorporated and you have a medium-firm piece
> of
> dough. Knead the dough on the worktable for between 5 and 8 minutes
> using a
> small additional quantity of white flour if necessary. The dough will
> be
> firm but if you press your fingers into it it will feel sticky.
>
> Return the dough to the bowl, cover it with a moist towel, and place
> it in
> an unlit oven for between 1 1/2 and 2 hours to rise. [EB: my notes say
> that
> my yeast culture took a little longer -- about 2 1/2 hours to doubling
> in size.]
>
> When it has doubled in bulk, cut the dough into 2 pieces. Shape the
> pieces
> into flat loaves that are 5 inches square and 2 inches high by
> flattening
> and then folding the edges toward the middle and sealing the joins
> with the
> heel of the hand. Oil one side of each loaf and place them, oiled sides
> abutting, side by side in a greased bread pan that measures 9 inches
> by 5
> 1/2 inches by 3 inches. [EB: He's making two half-loaves and putting
> them
> in the same pan. I made one loaf.]
>
> Let the dough rise, again covered with a moist towell, in an unlit
> oven for
> 30 minutes, until the dough has risen about 1/2 an inch above the top
> of
> the pan. [EB: My rise at this point took a whole hour.]
>
> Give each loaf a straight, 2-inch slash on the top with a razor blade
> and
> brush the tops with a little salad oil. [EB: I slashed, but did not
> oil.]
>
> Set the oven at 450F and immediately place the loaves inside. Bake the
> bread in what is known as a rising oven for 25 minutes. Then reduce the
> heat to 400F and bake the loaves for 45 minutes longer. They will be
> quite
> dark.
>
> Remove the loaves from the pan and place them on a cooling rack. When
> cooled the bread is best sliced very, very thin.
> -
> --
>
> Man, talk about a wordy recipe. An experienced baker could pass this to
> another experienced baker in about 1/3 the space.

And another one. Snipped because of space. This also from the
breadmaking-msg file: