[Sca-cooks] Rissoles

Kai D. Kalix kdkalix at gmx.de
Fri Oct 15 04:46:09 PDT 2004

Greetings,
I found the following;
Rissoles
Rissoles on a meat day be in season from St. Remy's day. Take a haunch of
pork and remove all the fat until none remaineth, then set the lean to cook
in a pot with plenty of salt; and when it is nearly done, take it off and
have eggs hard boiled and cut up very small, and mix the eggs and the meat
together and scatter spice powder over them, then make it into a paste and
fry in its own fat. And note that it is the right stuffing for a pig: and
sometimes cooks buy it from roasters in order to farce their pigs with it.
Natherless in stuffing a pig it is good to put good cheese in it.
Le Menagier de Paris, 1395

Is the term rissoles from Apicius a correct translation?
kai

> Margaret asked:
> > sorry to drag out inter-kingdom terminology
> again, but I had difficulty
> > with this thread at first, not realising that a
> 'rissole' might be
> > something in pastry.
>
> Hmmm, actually, Margaret, I am confused, too.  Are we  talking about a
> Medieval Rissole?
> I've found a couple of recipes for examples:
<snip>

--
Come not between the Nazgûl and his prey! or he will not slay Thee in Thy
turn, but bear Thee

+++ GMX DSL Premiumtarife 3 Monate gratis* + WLAN-Router 0,- EUR* +++
Clevere DSL-Nutzer wechseln jetzt zu GMX: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl