[Sca-cooks] Life is Grand...

Craig Jones drakey at webone.com.au
Sat Oct 16 17:05:28 PDT 2004

> > Bog standard fare for me and I must have cooked
> > most of the recipes at
> > least half a dozen times...  Just a little bit
> > of each recipe...  Wafer
> > iron was being a pain in the *ss.  Kept
> > sticking and the waffres,
> > although crisp were still a bit too doughy for
> > my liking...
>
> Is your iron electric or manual?  Is is regular
> or teflon?

Manual.  Cast iron from a Swedish foundry...

> When I make wafers or waffles, I always use
> a non-stick cooking spray with every wafer or
> waffle I make, even if the iron is teflon-coated;
> and sometimes, especially because it is teflon.
> It is amazing how many thing will still stick
> to teflon.

I was using Olive oil cooking spray.

> As for the doughy-ness, I believe that you should
> have thinned the batter down with whatever liquid
> you used in the recipe.  Doughy-ness usually
> means that the batter is too thick.  As to how
> much to add, that is a guess, depending on how
> much batter you made in the first place.  If I
> had 8 cups of batter to be thinned, I would start
> with adding 1/8 cup liquid and testing again to
> see how it cooked.  Eventually you will find
> the right consistancy.

I suspect that it was the fact that the eggs I used were from Mistress
Bryony's farm and the whites were much thicker than normal.  Combine
that with the fact that it's been awhile since I've made them and thus
forgotten what the right consistency is...

Next time I'll nail 'em...

Drakey.