[Sca-cooks] A question about knives

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 17 16:59:21 PDT 2004

Hi!

For more that 50 years, we have been using the
Flint knives that my mother was given as a
wedding present in 1947.  Lately, I have noticed
that some of them have been getting a black
stain on them, which I am assuming is wear.
Lately, in order to save time and keep them
clean, I have been putting them in the
dishwasher.  Yes, the wooden handles have lost
their finish but the wood is good quality and is
holding up otherwise [and actually looks quite
pretty without the finish].  However, some of the
knives with the black stain have been taking to
rusting after every wash.  So I have decided to
retire them after such long use.

I have taken a real liking to the Kershaw Shun
knives and am gradually purchasing various of
them.  The questions I have are these:

1) What is a birdbeak knife and what do you do
with it?  [And no wiseacre answers about chopping
birdbeaks!]

2) The cleaver is about $129.  How many of you
actually use the cleaver on a regular basis?
I have never owned one, so I am trying to decide
whether it is worth it to spend this goodly sum
or not.

Thanks.

Huette

=====