[Sca-cooks] Charcoal forge suggestion ;-)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Oct 17 18:00:58 PDT 2004

   Chass of Rundel commented:
> Ya know Fire brick is cheap.. tis what my forge is lined with... I
> think I paid 1.50$ per brick....
Hmmm. Since (I think) the only reason for getting a brake drum to go
*into* the ex-grill is to fill up space, the firebricks might work.
They have the advantage, since they are rectangular of fitting into the
rectangular grill better. Although part of the idea may be to corner
the coals into on small area rather than letting them spread over the
entire bottom of the grill.

So where would you buy fire bricks? From Home Depot? I doubt I need
very many, although that may depend upon their size and whether I need
one layer or more.

I remember trying to use a clay flower pot saucer to hold charcoal for
a period pewter casting demo at an event but the heat cracked it. And I
only used a few chunks of hardwood charcoal. I think part of my problem
was not using enough since I wasn't getting enough heat. I thought I
needed a bellows then, but I think just more charcoal. And that might
have reduced problems with expansion and the clay saucer breaking, but
I think I'll go with a different container next time, anyway.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com