[Sca-cooks] Charcoal forge suggestion ;-)

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Sun Oct 17 18:35:13 PDT 2004

> I remember trying to use a clay flower pot saucer to hold charcoal
> for a period pewter casting demo at an event but the heat cracked
> it. And I only used a few chunks of hardwood charcoal. I think part
> of my problem was not using enough since I wasn't getting enough
> heat. I thought I needed a bellows then, but I think just more
> charcoal. And that might have reduced problems with expansion and
> the clay saucer breaking, but I think I'll go with a different
> container next time, anyway.
>
> Stefan

Stefan,

Of COURSE it cracked- a flower pot just isn't up to the temperatures you
generate when you're operating a forge. And the brake drum is not "just to
fill up space", it's there not only to handle the temperatures that a forge
can generate, it's to shape and direct the fire, so that it's controlled. I
suspect that if you proceed with your cat litter intentions as you stand, it
will work for a few uses, and then the entire thing will burn up, because the
litter will crack, catching the shell of the barbecue on fire, or maybe
melting it, if you're lucky- cat litter just isn't designed to deal with
those temperatures. Myself, I'm lusting after some castable refractory I've
found that's good up to 3000 degrees Fahrenheit, for the forges I want to
build.

Fire brick will work, too, although for higher temperatures, you want the
light weight stuff, that feels like a bit of foam, almost, when you lift it,
rather than the heavier fire brick that feels sinilar to building brick-
again, the lighter bricks are resistant to higher temperatures.

The thing you need to keep in mind that if you'll be using charcoal for your
fire, you want a fire that's deeper than you'd have for a coal fire. Part of
what you're doing is focussing the fire with the blower and the shape of the
fire pot, rather like what you're doing with a glass lens when you focus the
sun's rays to catch a bit of paper or wood on fire- you can get forging
temperatures by burning your house down too, but that much fire is a bit
difficult to get close enough to use, never mind being a bit inconvenient,
when you try to go to bed that night ;-)

Phlip