[Sca-cooks] Grain mills?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Oct 18 06:40:14 PDT 2004

> I am about to ascend to the next level of crunchiness.  I want to start
> milling my own grain.  So, I'm scoping out the grain mills on
> www.lehmans.com.  They're... pricey.  I went to eBay, and found mills at
> a variety of prices, all far less expensive than at Lehmans.  But, I
> have no idea how to evaluate what I'm looking at.  Can anybody comment
> on the different brands?  Hand turned vs. electric?

My mom has a hand-turned grain mill (it's one of the classic brands,
but I don't remember which; I'll try to check this weekend).
You generally have to put the grain through 2 to 3 times to get it fine
enough to bake with. It's quite a bit of work to use, but would probably
be very efficient for a family with a few pre-teens. :)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Well," the Goddess said, "your heart didn't heal straight the last time
it broke. So we'll break it again and reset it so it heals straight this
time." - Diane Duane. _Door into Shadow_