[Sca-cooks] A question about knives and kids

R J chaingangorg at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 18 19:16:58 PDT 2004

> Where and How do you guys store your knives to
> prevent children from messing
> around with them?

> Petru

As a former 5 year old, I suggest taking a different
tack.

 Dont try to keep the kid away from knives, rather,
hand him one of his very own, for which he is
thoroughly responsible.

 Teach him to sharpen it, clean it, and store it, then
ask him to use it while helping you cook.
 Ask him to cut potatos, cheese, cooked meats,
whatever is of a fairly dense but not brittle form. My
mom started me on chilled cookie dough =)

 He will have pride in having responsibilities, and
will respect the knife as he learns first hand what
they are capable of doing, for good or ill.

 I still have my knife from when I was 5, its junk,
but its pretty valuable to me.

 Also, there are some plastic sleeves which we keep
our knives in. They sandwich the knife so it doesnt
"surprise" one in the drawer, as well as making drawer
storage viable.
 Otherwise, if you have a spare kitchen drawer, I like
to make a slide-in block, so the knives are blade down
within the drawer.

 AEsa