[Sca-cooks] sugared nuts

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 22 11:22:18 PDT 2004

I used this recipe with great success at an event some time back.
Thought this might help:

*Confiture de noiz*

Prenez avant la saint Jehan noiz nouvelles et les pelez et perciez et
mectez en eaue freshce tremper par .ix. jour, et chacun jour renoivellez
l’eaue, puis les laisser secer et emplez les pertuiz de cloz de giroffle
et de gingembre et mectez boulir en miel et illec les laissiez en
conserve. – (Menagier de Paris*/ /*from /Early French Cookery/, Scully).

Yield—about 2 cups

Redaction—by Scully

1 cup liquid honey
10 - 15 whole cloves
2 Tbsp. finely sliced slivers of fresh ginger
8 oz whole or halved (or large pieces) walnuts

1. Combine honey and spices over low heat.
2. Let spices marinate in warm honey for 5 - 10 minutes.
3. Add walnuts and bring to a boil.
4. Cook, stirring occasionally until honey reaches soft ball stage.
5. Spoon out walnuts (include some cloves & ginger), and set them to
cool and harden on tinfoil.
6. Store in tightly sealed container.

This is REALLY good stuff...and my feasters seemed to really enjoy it.

Kiri