[Sca-cooks] recipe/low carb, was dr checkup results - just want to share good news

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Tue Oct 26 08:25:42 PDT 2004

you might want to substitute something for the carrots.  carrots are very
high on the glycemic index, and for many people they spike blood sugar (not
all) you could substitute parsnips, or turnips, or some other veggie

as far as grains go, barley is among the lowest on the glycemic index, so
its usually pretty good.
most barley and mushroom dishes are excellent!

my husband was (finally) diagnosed with diabetes..... after all  of us had
been trying to get him to get his sugar checked for years.... thankfully he
doesnt seem to have any permenet damage from it.
Atkins, in our case, and most other low or controlled carb diets will
reduce your blood sugar levels (or stabilize them if you are hypoglycemic
like me).
period
any of them
it may be that one of the varieties is better for YOU than another, you may
find one diet suits you best. for me it was atkins, for others its not.

if you need a fellow SCAdian , or just someone else living with diabetes, to
talk to. please feel free to call me off list

Kirsten Houseknecht
Fabric Dragon
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
www.fabricdragon.com
Philadelphia, PA     USA
Trims, Amber, Jet, Jewelry, and more...

I worry about you, wear a reflective sweater...