[Sca-cooks] Historic Near East Spice Boxes

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 27 12:12:49 PDT 2004

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> OK, i finally did it. I up loaded to my website some pages i created
> back at the end of August.
>
> There are three, first listing, then comparing, the seasonings used in
> the cookbooks of al-Baghdadi and the Anonymous Andalusian.
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah/Misc_Hist_Food/SpiceboxBaghdadi.html
> http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah/Misc_Hist_Food/SpiceboxAndalusi.html
> http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah/Misc_Hist_Food/SpiceboxesCompared.html
>
> These are not linked to the rest of my website because i am asking for
> comments on the pages.
>
> I am chiefly looking for critiques of my analysis. What questions did
> i not ask? What is the data saying that i didn't hear? Any other
> constructive remarks?

I would like to see this completed.  Please finish counting the allia.
<breathing garlic breath!>

You suggest the camping box of each of these pack white sugar?  How
white was their sugar, or do we have any actual idea?   I tend not to go
lighter than turbinado when using cane sugar at all for the SCA milieu,
and prefer to put Piloncillo cones on the table.  But that's just me.

I find Zaatar as an independent breed of Marjoram, "Origanum syriaca" on
the following seed catalogue page:
 http://www.genesisseeds.com/organicseed/herbs/catalog_culinaryherbs.htm

Once this is done, a comparison of the sweets sections of each might be
interesting too.

Selene