[Sca-cooks] OT (?) Winter Favorites

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 31 17:20:42 PST 2004

--- Samrah <auntie_samrah at yahoo.com> wrote:

> In my family
> though pork roasts just came with salt & pepper and a perhaps a bit of garlic and always with
> mashed potatoes for the yummy gravy.

There is something to be said for the simplicity of a quality pork roast, innocently seasoned with
salt and pepper, and roasted to perfection.  There are few commercially processed meats which,
given such a simple treatment, fill the home with such a rich aroma.  And pork, generally, is such
a flavorful meat that it often needs little else.

However, if you are feeling a bit adventurous one day, you might try embellishing the simple pork
roast in this fashion:

Combine:  Dried apricots, dates and raisins (or figs if you have them at hand), and bind with a
little honey.  Stuff the pork roast with this mixture (use your favorite method, but be generous
with the stuffing), season the outside with nothing more than salt and pepper, and roast until
done.  Have heart medication and smelling salts within reach.

I have made this pork roast at events large and small for many years, and it is always a huge hit.
 We have even added it to our catering company menu :)

Today, however, I stumbled across some dried Montmorency cherries at Trader Joe's... and if there
are any left come the Yule, I may have to change my recipe.

William de Grandfort

=====
Every heart to love will come... but like a refugee.