[Sca-cooks] bread and breadmaking

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Sep 4 23:05:22 PDT 2004

Samrah commented:
> We have a shire that loves to cook here so I will look into the larger
> quantities.  We did bread from scratch for our last feast.  It was
> wonderful.  Half whole wheat half regular flour with the mexican cone
> sugar.  I got to teach & supervise (but not make as much as I would
> have liked) as I'd only been out of ICU for a couple months.  Could be
> I can get a cooperative going.  We have a couple of good health food
> stores.
My pardon if you've already seen this, but I thought if you hadn't that
you might find some of this useful. Here are a few of the files in the
Florilegium that have to do with breads and breadmaking. Included in
the breads-msg file (I think) are several of the half-dozen period
bread recipes that are known to exist.
Ancent-Grains-art (24K)  5/30/01    "Looking into Ancient Grains" by
Mistress
                                        Christianna MacGrain.
BNYeast-art       (14K)  4/24/97    "A Brief Note on Yeast" by Katerine
Rountre.
bread-msg        (185K)  9/19/01    Medieval breads and grains.
bread-stamps-msg  (12K) 11/16/02    Stamps used to leave insignia in
bread.
bread-stuffed-msg (28K)  7/21/99    Period stuffed bread. Rastons.
Recipes.
breadmaking-msg  (206K) 11/15/01    Period bread recipes and
re-creations.
brd-mk-ethnic-msg (27K) 11/15/01    Making various ethnic breads.
Recipes.
brd-mk-flat-msg   (68K)  8/26/02    Period flat or unleavened bread
recipes.
brd-mk-sour-msg   (96K) 12/29/02    Breadmaking -Period sourdough bread
recipes.
flour-msg         (60K)  5/25/02    Types of flour. Sources. Period
flour.
grains-msg        (68K)  3/ 2/03    Medieval grains. Recipes. Cooking.
leavening-msg     (12K)  4/ 4/04    Period leavening agents other than
yeast.
trenchers-msg     (84K)  2/13/04    Wooden and bread trenchers. Plates.
yeasts-msg        (72K)  7/ 6/00    Medieval use of yeast. Using it in
the CMA.
And, oh yes, Bear stars in many of these.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com