[Sca-cooks] Pottages and Vegetarians and Carnivores, oh my

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Sep 20 10:48:26 PDT 2004

You know that part in nature films where the polar bear sticks her paw
into the ice-hole, drags out the seal, and clubs it over the head?
Jadwiga is now doing that to the topicness of the list.

In the interest of talking about SCA-period food and SCA feasts, can we
talk about pottages? Can we talk about how accomodating vegetarians and
carnivores (meat-only-eating) affects how we tend to present pottages in
the SCA?

I notice that almost all recipes call for broth when cooking grain or
making pottage of any sort, but we usually omit it or use veggie broth.
We tend to see these pottages as vegetarian dishes, and often omit
hearty pottages when considering meat dishes-- partly because some of us
believe the carnivore types will complain if we dilute their dead
animals, and we know the low-carb folks will complain if we mix carbs
with protein. There must be a better way, though. Mustn't there?

When I was asked what was the best part about helping with the Norseland
feast it was that people were very enthusiastic about the pottages,
coming back for 2nds and 3rds, especially of the lentil pottage. But
those pottages had meat in them.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I have found some of the best reasons I ever had for remaining
at the bottom simply by looking at the men at the top." Frank Colby